Saturday, November 1, 2014

I'm OBSESSED!

Here's the dealio….
I am identifying some early trends of addictions and obsessions that I think will only continue to be exacerbated with my living in Bozeman, as well as any place in the west. As my close friends and family I am delegating you the responsibility to form an intervention when you, as a collective, feel it is appropriate and necessary. 

Today I attended what is known as the Bridger Ski Foundation Ski Swap. This happens once a year the first weekend of November. It is essentially a consignment sale for ski, snowboard,  and winter sports equipment, including all boots, bindings, poles, and clothing. People in the community bring in their used/gently used equipment they want to sell. They put a price on it, you buy it, they get the money. I walked into this not knowing exactly what to expect. As soon as I walked through those doors I was experiencing emotions of euphoria, happiness, and anxiety, as well as physiological changes in heart rate, blood pressure, and temperature (only minimally explained by the coffee I was drinking). I saw hundreds of cross country skis of every variety, hundreds of downhill skis, hundreds of snowboards, boots, bindings, hats, gloves, jackets,…you get the drift. Clearly I was elated with all this Ski Swap offered, however was unable to purchase equipment due to my limited knowledge of outdoor equipment. Trust me, I will take full advantage next year. Regardless, I purchase a Burton winter coat for $40 and a north face wind breaker for $40…steals! Oh, I also bought some socks….these were not in the used section.

After I walked out with my new exciting winter possessions in my arms I was on a winter sports high, and obviously my only chance to satisfy this urge was to head to the mothership, REI. In case you aren't aware, REI stands for Recreation Equipment Inc., aka Julie's outdoor sports Disney World. It was in REI that I spent 2 hours, just wandering around, marveling at the equipment, feeling the softness and warmth of various fabrics, comparing the weight of hiking boots, and touching very pretty skis. I asked Laura and Mike (two of the lovely employees to help me) tons of questions regarding wet, snow, running, skiing, snow shoeing, and regular shoe needs in Bozeman. 

Now let me rewind. Back in my first semester of graduate school my classmates and I were discussing what it would be like to get our very first pay check as occupational therapists and what we would do with our money. I said that I would buy something from REI. Keep in mind, at this point in my life I had never been to an REI, yet I knew I was meant to shop in one. 

Fast forward to present day. I am not only shopping at an REI, but I am living in a place where it is practically required by law to shop at REI and hold a membership card. I wouldn't be surprised if they ask me to present my REI card as proof of Montana residence when I go to get my Montana driver's license. That is how common it is. So after my 2 hours of ogling at the equipment like a kid in a candy store, I settled on my first REI purchase. A practical over the shoulder bag to take my belongings to and from work. I was ecstatic. 

So folks, here I am, a Bozeman, Montana resident with a Subaru and an REI membership. 
I am very much enjoying this process of assimilating to the western culture. ; )

Here is a picture of my new belongings. Just think, if you moved here you would have a reason to buy cool things like this too!

No comments:

Post a Comment